And I will ask the Father and He will give you another Comforter to be with you forever. John 14:16
About My Comforter weighted blankets
As a part of deep pressure touch stimulation (DPST) therapy, weighted blankets are often used by occupational therapists to help children and adults with sensory processing disorders, ADHD, anxiety, stress, and issues related to autism. My Comforter weighted blankets are designed to provide gentle pressure that hugs the body to produce a calming and relaxing effect. The weight of the comforter molds to the body to aid in relaxing the nervous system and encouraging the production of serotonin.
- Each comforter is a handcrafted patchwork quilt, which lessens the stigma associated with institutional aids for mental and emotional health.
- Comforters are constructed with a patchwork quilt top, solid back, and a durable muslin lining to contain the beads that provide the weight.
- Only quality 100% cotton fabrics are used for cool and breathable comfort.
- High quality, nontoxic polypropylene beads are added to the comforter to exact weight requirements, and are sewn into the blocks of the patchwork quilt so that bead weight remains evenly distributed throughout the comforter.
- Comforter weight is customized to each individual.
- Custom fabric choices are available.
- Comforters are machine wash warm and tumble dry.
Sizes, Weights*, and Pricing:
- Lap Pad 12 x 24 up to 5 lbs. $ 45
- Small 24 x 40 up to 5 lbs. $ 75
- Medium 32 x 48 up to 12 lbs. $125
- Large 40 x 56 up to 20 lbs. $175
- X-Large 48 x 64 up to 25 lbs. $225
*recommended weight: 10% of body weight + 1 lb. (ex. 4 lbs. of beads for a 30 lb. child)
How to Order
- From the chart above, determine the size and weight needed.
- Go to the Longsmith Cottage Shop.
- Select the patchwork quilt top of your choice.
- Under “Weight”, select the weight needed.
Don’t see a patchwork quilt top in fabrics/size to your liking? Just select any patchwork quilt top in the size needed and click on “Request a Custom Order”. In the message box, tell us what you are looking for. For example, blues and pinks in vintage/shabby chic patterns for a teenage young lady, or Paw Patrol fabrics for a little boy, or an outdoorsy cabin feel in blues, browns, and greens for an avid fisherman. We’ll email you pictures of several custom fabric choices for your review. We can discuss what works and what doesn’t for you until we settle on just the right look!
**There is a $25 surcharge for all custom orders.
Use and Safety
- Consult a therapist prior to use.
- Comforters should not exceed the recommended weight (10% of body weight + 1 pound).
- The user should be capable of independently removing the comforter.
- Comforters should never be used as restraints.
- Never cover the head and face with the comforter.
- Comforters should not be used for infants under age 1.
- Use of comforters by young children should be adult-supervised.
- Comforters contain small parts which may present a choking hazard if subjected to inappropriate use that causes ripping or tearing of the fabric.
For more information on DPTS and weighted blankets, see:
Effects of Deep Pressure Stimulation on Physiological Arousal. Stacey Reynolds; Shelly J. Lane; Brian Mullen. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, April 2015, 69:1-5.
Calming Effects of Deep Touch Pressure in Patients with Autistic Disorder, College Students, and Animals. Temple Grandi. Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology. June 2009, 2(1):63-72.